How Do Restaurants Make Hot Dogs?
Have you noticed that hot dogs from restaurants often taste differently than those you cook at home?
Here are some tips to bring the restaurant experience to your kitchen for your friends and family to enjoy:
How to Cook Hot Dogs (Most Popular Ways)
- Pan or flat top (Fry): Preheat the eye to medium heat. Add a small amount of canola oil to the pan. Place the hot dogs in the pan. Cook for 4 - 6 minutes on one side and turnover for another 4 - 5 minutes (black charred line means it's done).
- Steam: Fill a pot or saucepan with water and bring it to a boil. Place a steamer basket or bamboo steamer in the pot or saucepan. Place the hot dogs in the steamer basket or bamboo steamer. Place the lid on the pot or saucepan and steam the hot dogs for about 10 minutes, or until they are heated through.
- Boil: Bring a pot of water to a boil, then add the hot dogs. Cook for about 5 - 7 minutes, or until they are heated through.
- Airfryer: Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Prepare the hot dogs. You can either leave them whole or cut them into smaller pieces. If you cut them, be sure to cut them lengthwise so they don't fall through the air fryer basket. Place the hot dogs in the air fryer basket. Cook the hot dogs for about 6 - 8 minutes, turning them halfway through to ensure even cooking. You'll know they're done when they're heated through and have a crispy exterior.
How to Get the Buns Right
- Use a strainer or steamer basket: Place a strainer in a pot with a few inches of water. Bring the water to a boil, then place the buns in the steamer basket. Cover the pot and steam the buns for a few minutes until they are warm and soft.
- Use a stovetop: Fill a pot with a few inches of water and bring it to a boil. Place the buns in a heat-safe bowl, then place the bowl in the pot of boiling water. Cover the pot and steam the buns for a few minutes until they are warm and soft.
- Use an oven: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the buns on a baking sheet and warm them in the oven for 5-10 minutes, or until they are warm and soft.
- Use a toaster: Toast the buns in a toaster until they are warm and slightly crispy. This method will not produce as soft a bun as the other methods, but it can be a quick and easy option.
How to Make Hot Dog Chili
- Enhance your hot dog experience with some delicious Bright Leaf Chili!
- Simply preheat a pan to medium heat, add the chili, and cook for about five minutes.
- Once it's cooked, let it cool before pouring it over your hot dog.
- Tap here to find the nearest store and get your hands on some Bright Leaf Chili today!
How to Make Slaw
- 1 Large Head of Green Cabbage
- 2 Tbsp. of Mayonnaise
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 1/4 Cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Tsp. of Ground Black Pepper
- 1/3 Cup of Salt
- To make the dressing, combine vinegar, sugar, mayonnaise, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cabbage, salt, and remaining sugar. Let it sit for five minutes, then rinse the cabbage under cold water and spin it dry in a salad spinner or blot it dry with paper towels.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage and toss until the cabbage is coated.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, and/or sugar to taste.
The Best Slaw You Can Buy (local favorite)
- Jones Cafe (Clayton, NC)
- White Swan (Smithfield, NC)
- Hursey's Bar-B-Q (Burlington, NC)
Most Popular Topping Combination In Order of Application
- Chopped Onions
What hot dogs do restaurants serve?
We recommend Bright Leaf Hot Dogs! Bright Leaf Hot Dogs have been made with fresh pork and beef in Johnston County, North Carolina for more than 80 years! You will find Bright Leaf being served at restaurants, grills, hot dog carts and food trucks all over North Carolina.
Bright Leaf Hot Dogs Near You
Ship Bright Leaf Hot Dogs to Your Doorstep
Find Local Hot Dog Shops
Questions? Contact us!